Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Java Joy

Fun fact about me: I've been drinking coffee since I was a toddler. When my grandparents would watch us, they would give us a tiny bit of coffee, milk and some sugar (essentially it was coffee flavored sugar milk) and we somehow convinced our parents to let us have it at home. (Sidenote: Aren't grandparents the best? I miss mine terribly.) It did not occur to me until I was older that most kids did not drink coffee every morning before school while watching Recess. Sorry I've always been sophisticated. 

When I got to college, I started drinking lattes and normal coffee just did not cut it. I really like iced coffee, but I have a tendency to drink it too fast and then I feel awful the rest of the day. They also use so much ice that it waters down the drink and I only want half of it. But, I've been craving it since it's been so hot and I actually made my own at home and it was so good! It took me a couple tries to get it right, but here is what I did: 

-I took any left over coffee my family didn't finish and froze it in ice cube trays. I think this is the most important part because this will keep the drink flavorful the whole time. I used a few cubes of regular ice in the blender, but I also did two coffee cubes and poured the coffee over two coffee cubes. 
-I did a little more than half coffee and filled the rest with caramel flavored creamer and some caramel sauce. 
-I mixed it all in the blender and poured some more caramel sauce on top like they do at Starbucks. 

It lasted me a really long time and never once lost any flavor. It also didn't make me shake. Ryan likes vanilla flavored coffee, so I want to try that next. This will be perfect for the mornings when green tea just won't cut it. 

Have you ever made iced coffee at home? 

2 comments:

  1. I saw coffee ice cubes on Pinterest but was scared to try it. Now that you've endorsed the idea, I think I'll try your recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Caroline! That sounds delicious, I'm going to have to try the coffee cubes! I make myself an iced mocha every morning. I use espresso though. After I brew the espresso I stick it in the freezer for as long as I can wait to keep it from getting watered down from the ice. I also don't put mine in the blender but I may have to start. I also use a flavored creamer and milk. I'm so addicted.

    ReplyDelete