Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Travel Tuesday: Week 6

I'm linking up with Megan today for Travel Tuesday! 

She's a very experienced flyer, I, however, am not. My first time on a plane was when I was 17 when I went to France. We flew to Boston and had an eight hour layover and eight or so hours after that we landed in Paris. 
My mom is afraid of flying (she got on a plane this fall for the first time in about 20 years! yeah girl!) so naturally so was I. We visit Michigan every summer and don't mind the seven hour drive at all. We've driven to Colorado, Flordia, Georgia just to name a few places. We're what we like to call "road warriors" because we're so used to driving. Obviously we couldn't drive to France, so I swallowed my fear and made my down payment. All the girls and chaperones on the trip were really nice and gave me some warning about what take off would be like and I'm not afraid anymore. 

Our flight was at six in the morning, so we arrived at the airport around four and I didn't sleep more than two hours the night before. I tried to sleep on our first flight, but I was too cold (I had no idea you shouldn't wear shorts on a flight) so I tried to sleep in the airport in Boston. My roommate Meghann and I were the only ones who couldn't sleep. Here's a picture of everyone nice and refreshed after a nap and Meghann after sitting in the same position for six hours. 


What a shame there are no pictures of me in the airport. As soon as we were seated on our international flight, I passed out. The flight attendant woke me up because we had to fill out some paperwork about swine flu and I didn't sleep a wink the rest of the flight. I just sat and stared at the seat in front of me because I was too cold to get anything out of my carry on bag overhead. Not my favorite flight. I didn't master the art of deep sleeping in pubic until college. 

I've since gotten better at flying and pack my essentials like ipod, books, magazines and a blanket in my bag. I try to sleep, but I usually can't stay asleep for very long because I get uncomfortable. It's not like at Mizzou when you can sprawl out on any couch or chair and be out in seconds. No one judges. It's great. 
I like to curl up under my cheetah print blanket and read a few magazines. I love driving, but I can't read in the car without getting sick, so both forms of travel have perks. I wish someone would fly me to my room right now, It's about to rain and I don't want to walk across campus. 


2 comments:

  1. Your first flight ever was TO FRANCE? Wow. Commendable, girl. :) And at least your companions were nice to you; I took a friend on her first flight once, and she kept asking me what all the sounds meant. When the wheels started lowering during the descent and she asked me what that noise was, I clutched the armrest and said, "I don't know. I've never heard that before!" Bahaha. #soevil :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is incredible that your first flight ever was the longest flight ever! (okay so maybe not ever!). I too can't sleep on a plane...unless Im drugged...then I sleep REAL well!

    ReplyDelete